- Free-to-play video games generated $87.7 billion in revenue during 2018, according to a new report from research firm SuperData.
- Asian players account for 62% of spending on free games, and seven of the top 10 grossing free-to-play games belong to Asian publishers.
- “Fortnite” was the top grossing game of 2018, free or otherwise, with an estimated $2.4 billion in revenue.
- Revenue generated by mobile games ($61.3 billion) exceeded the combined earnings of games on traditional video game consoles ($12.7 billion) and PC ($35.7 billion).
Led by “Fortnite: Battle Royale,” the free-to-play video game market surged to $87.7 billion in revenue during 2018 — more than triple the earnings of blockbuster games released by major publishers last year. In fact, free-to-play titles accounted for nearly 80% of all spending on digital games in 2018.
- A popular hero at the center of one of the hottest video games around was just revealed to be gay, and fans are freaking out
- ‘Fortnite’ made nearly half a billion dollars on just Apple devices in 2018, according to a new report
- This beloved video game franchise packs in 90 years worth of Disney history — here are all 32 Disney films represented in the ‘Kingdom Hearts’ series