Jamie Squire/Getty Images
- Much to the chagrin of the undefeated No. 2 Michigan Wolverines and No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers, the Duke Blue Devils sit at the top of the AP Top 25 Poll for the third consecutive week.
- The ACC leads all conferences with six teams in the rankings, followed closely by the Big 12 with five and the SEC and Big 10 with four teams apiece. The Pac-12, meanwhile, has no representation in the AP Top 25 Poll for the second consecutive week.
- Here are the four biggest winners and losers of Week 9 of the college basketball season.
▲ No. 5 Gonzaga Bulldogs — Up 2 spots in the AP Top 25 Poll
AP Photo/Young Kwak
The No. 5 Gonzaga Bulldogs have been one of the elite teams throughout this college basketball season. They managed to take down Zion Williamson and the mighty Blue Devils at the Maui Invitational before suffering their first losses of the season back-to-back against the Tennessee Volunteers and North Carolina Tar Heels. Since then, the Bulldogs have been flying high, outscoring their last five opponents by a 43.6 point margin on average and climbing two spots in the AP Top 25 Poll this week. Even so, the most significant thing that happened for Gonzaga this week was the return of star big man Killian Tillie, who had been recovering from an ankle injury for the first half of the season. If the Bulldogs could compete — and even beat — the top teams in the nation without their leading returning scorer from last season, imagine what they will do with him back in the ranks.
▲ No. 20 Iowa State Cyclones — Enter AP Top 25 Poll
David Purdy/Getty Images
Early season losses to the Arizona Wildcats and the Iowa Hawkeyes took the No. 20 Iowa State Cyclones out of the conversation with the top teams in the country, but Iowa State hasn’t lost since. This week, they took down the then-No. 5 Kansas Jayhawks in dominant fashion, stretching a four-point halftime lead into a commanding 17-point gap by the final buzzer. Now the Cyclones find themselves in the top 20 of the AP Top 25 Poll with two more matchups against ranked opponents coming later in the month.
- Zion Williamson threw down a nasty 360 dunk that sent Duke fans into a frenzy
- A top women’s basketball recruit lost her senior-year high school eligibility because of an $800 stipend check and USA Basketball snafu
- The 29 NFL players who have made at least $100 million in their careers