Sean Gallup/Getty Images
- Some unique girl names were more popular in certain states than the rest of the country in 2017.
- Names such as Juniper in Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington were disproportionately popular in multiple states.
- The girls’ name Juniper was overly popular in five states: Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.
Girls born in 2017 were given interesting names and many of those unique names were disproportionally popular in certain states compared to the rest of the US, like Journee in Illinois and Emersyn in Iowa and Nebraska.
INSIDER has collected data from the Social Security name database to determine the most disproportionately popular girl name in each state.
In Alabama, Mary was the most disproportionately popular girl name in 2017.
Girls in Alabama were named Mary 4.5 times more than girls were named Mary nationwide.
In Alaska, Ayla was the most disproportionately popular girl name in 2017.
Girls in Alaska were named Ayla 6.7 times more than girls were named Ayla nationwide.
In Arizona, Ximena was the most disproportionately popular girl name in 2017.
Girls in Arizona were named Ximena 3.0 times more than girls were named Ximena nationwide.
- The most disproportionately popular boy name in every state
- We compared Trader Joe’s stores in the city and in the suburbs — and the loser was clear
- 8 reasons you and your partner might not be enjoying sex